Some of the most frequent enquiries to the chapel concern weddings and other life events.  If you have a very particular question, or you can’t find the answer here, please contact the Chaplain.

Getting Married in Castle Chapel

The chapels of University College (like most other college and school chapels) are not licensed for the conduct of marriages, so special permission has to be requested from the Faculty Office of the Archbishop of Canterbury for each marriage held in them.  Normally, such permission will only be granted to current members of the college and its staff, recent graduates, or those with a close and demonstrable connection to the college or chapel community.  The Master also has to give permission, and you would need the support of the clergy where you live. At least one party must also have been baptised.  The marriage must be conducted according to the rites of the Church of England.

If you would like to get married in Castle Chapel, and think you may be eligible to do so, please contact the Chaplain who will be delighted to discuss this with you further.

If you are planning your wedding service and are looking for suggestions for hymns or readings, go to www.yourchurchwedding.org where you will find lots of resources and ideas.


Baptisms in chapel

Baptisms (christenings) in chapel are usually restricted to members of college or their immediate families, and usually take place during the main Sunday service.  Having been baptised in the chapel does not automatically qualify you to be married here, and we would normally encourage people to seek baptism in their local parish church.  If you aren’t sure where that is, enter your postcode into www.achurchnearyou.com where you will find the information you need.

If you are a current member of college, and interested in exploring baptism or confirmation, or questions of Christian faith, get in touch with Hannah.